Business solicitation and recruiting scams
Business solicitation scams
Imperial does not use social media and unsolicited email or written correspondence to request that individuals or businesses pay an advance fee of any kind in order to conduct business with Imperial.
It has come to our attention that unauthorized individuals have attempted to use the Imperial name and logo, as well as the names of Imperial directors, executives and employees, in emails and on web sites to solicit up-front fees from interested individuals and businesses. If you are contacted by an individual or business seeking up-front fees, be aware that offers or proposals communicated through social media, email or written correspondence and purporting to be on behalf of Imperial may be fraudulent.
Unauthorized individuals have also used third party websites to conduct business solicitation scams. Imperial does not control any third party websites, and makes no warranty or representation regarding, and is not responsible for, any third party websites or the content of such websites. Inclusion of links or sharing tools to third party sites is not an endorsement of the content of such sites. Should you suspect that you have received a business solicitation scam, you are advised to report the suspected behavior to the third party website.
Imperial does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an advance fee of any kind (e.g., placement fees, immigration processing fees, etc.). Unfortunately, we've been made aware of unauthorized individuals using the Imperial name and logo in emails and on web sites in an attempt to solicit up-front fees from interested job-seekers. The fraudulent job offers are typically sent via email and inform the targeted victim they either have been hired by the company or may obtain employment with the company, and for a fee (the amount varies from $100 to as much as several thousand dollars). Victims are often asked to provide personal information, send fees via wire transfer, personal check or money, and to make travel arrangements for a fictitious prospective interview. Such offers and solicitations for candidates to pay fees and incur prospective employee costs are not made by Imperial and are fraudulent.
Periodically, Imperial engages recruiting and/or placement agencies to help us identify potential candidates for specific positions. If you are contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no cost to you, the job-seeker.
For employment opportunities, please apply directly through the Careers link on our official website.
Scratch and win rewards promotions – Esso gift card prizes
It has come to our attention that unauthorized individuals and/or businesses have used the Esso brand and logo as rewards in various Scratch and win promotions. Imperial is not affiliated with these promotions.
Do’s & don’ts
- Understand that unsolicited communications can be used to conduct “phishing” attacks that try to trick you into disclosing personal, financial or otherwise valuable information
- Fraudulent solicitations may include suspicious hints (e.g., non-Imperial email addresses, gross exaggerations, misspellings, poor grammar, and requests for money)
- Do not respond to unsolicited business offers from people, email addresses or social media that you do not know or trust
- Do not open attachments or click on links in suspicious emails from individuals or websites you do not know or trust
- Do not disclose personal or financial information to individuals you do not know or trust or on a website that you do not trust. Should you do so, consider reporting the incident to the Canada Anti-Fraud Centre at +1 888 495 8501 or visit http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm. The Canada Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) is Canada's central fraud data repository and is a trusted source for fraud data and for educational and prevention resource materials. Cyber-based fraud may also be reported to the Canadian Cyber Incident Response Centre (CCIRC) at https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cbr-scrt/ccirc-ccric-en.aspx.