Advancing Climate Solutions
Energy transforms our modern lives
Imperial’s businesses are well positioned to evolve with energy system transformations and we have continued to test the resiliency of our business and investment portfolio against a range of future scenarios. Comprehensive roadmaps were developed to prioritize cost efficient, lower-emissions intensity oil production methods in our upstream and to transition downstream and chemical operations to meet the growing demand for lower-carbon intensity fuels, renewable fuels and low-carbon intensity hydrogen
- As a member of the Pathways Alliance, Imperial, along with our industry partners, was selected by the Government of Alberta to advance to the next phase of the evaluation of our advantaged carbon capture and storage (CCS) project with shared infrastructure, established regulatory framework and world-class storage capacity.
- Imperial is monetizing low-carbon intensity hydrogen by purchasing approximately 50 per cent of Air Products’ 165 million standard cubic feet per day low-carbon intensity hydrogen for future renewable diesel production at our Strathcona refinery.
- Transitioning our operated oil sands to solvent-based technologies with the first commercial-scale deployment of SA-SAGD in the industry at our Cold Lake operations.
- Imperial collaborated with FLO, a leading North American electric vehicle charging company to jointly develop a charging service option for Imperial’s Esso-and Mobil-branded wholesalers.
- Preliminary findings have identified geology that is potentially suitable for carbon storage located near our Nanticoke and Sarnia refineries.