Recently there has been media coverage about the environmental performance of the oil and gas industry, including Imperial, in the Sarnia region.
We understand that this coverage will generate a lot of discussion in Sarnia, in Ontario and even across Canada. These are important conversations, and we want to be a part of them.
We’ve been in Sarnia for 120 years and in southern Ontario even longer. Our operations have evolved drastically over that time – the industry has changed, technology has changed and the people have changed. What hasn’t and won’t change is our commitment to being a safe, responsible and trusted neighbour.
We take all regulatory violations very seriously. Our team is focused on improving environmental performance at our refining and manufacturing sites, including preventing spills, reducing water consumption and ensuring water returned to the environment meets high standards. Included below are some accomplishments from the past few years:
- Since 1994, we have achieved an 88 percent reduction in benzene emissions and have introduced fenceline monitoring programs for benzene at Sarnia and Nanticoke that benefit the public and company iolfencelinemonitoring.ca
- We have achieved a 60 percent reduction in sulphur dioxide emissions at our Sarnia site.
- In the last five years, we have spent approximately $1.1 billion at Nanticoke and Sarnia to improve the reliability and safety of our operations.
- Imperial has also invested in systems to protect the St. Clair River.
- We have funded internal health studies, supported external research efforts for Sarnia and we continue to fully support additional study in this space.
Community respect and confidence are very important to us – and we know we have to work hard to build trust with community members. To that end, let’s keep talking. If you have any questions, please reach out to our Community Affairs office ((519) 339-4015) or reach out on Facebook.