Securing Canada’s future as a responsible, reliable provider of safe and affordable energy
On June 10, CEO Rich Kruger participated in a session on energy at the International Economic Forum of the Americas in Montreal. In his remarks, he outlined Canada’s role in meeting growing global energy demand through the responsible development of the country’s oil sands. Highlights of his speech included:
- To meet increasing global demand, energy supplies must be safe, reliable, affordable and abundant
- Canada has a opportunity to play an increasingly important role in providing energy to Canadians and to the world for decades to come
- Oil sands environmental performance represents a challenge. These challenges can be managed responsibly and industry is working to address them – collaboration and technology are key.
- Industry's impact on the Canadian economy is significant, and growing.
- Industry, government and all Canadians have a respective role to play in Canada’s energy future:
- Industry – maintain safe and environmentally responsible operations, work with community and stakeholders, invest in research and technology to improve performance
- Government – create sound public policies that balance social, economic and environmental priorities, maintain clear regulatory processes and support for innovation and resource and market access
- Society – greater understanding of energy’s role, use energy efficiently and frame public debates on energy issues in facts and science
To conclude his remarks, he said that Canada has a tremendous opportunity to play an increasingly important role in providing energy to the world for decades to come, but we need to maintain a balance between the social, economic and environmental aspirations. By working together, industry, government and Canadian citizens can help secure Canada’s future as a responsible, reliable provider of safe and affordable energy.